As usual, things did not quite work out as planned. By 10 PM the tide had come up, but we were still sitting on the bottom and the depth sounder was still reading the same. The wind had switched to the NW where we were totally exposed to the sound and pushing us back on the shoal. So in the dark, we pulled up the anchor, throttled off the shoal and moved out about a quarter mile into deeper water. Because we had problems initially setting the anchor we were concerned, but it seemed to bite and we felt better being out of the shallow water. The rest of the night went fine.
A short 10 mile run in the late morning brought us to a lovely cove on the west end of Dog Island. The white crescent beach on the sound side and the just as white beach about a hundred yards across the barrier island on the Gulf side reminded us why we do this. There are several homes here on the island but the only way to get here is by boat, no roads or bridges. What a great spot, but we always think about how exposed it is to storms especially since this is the first day of the 2008 hurricane season. Since we arrived at about lunchtime, (there seems to be a pattern here) we had some lunch, launched the dinghy, fixed a problem with the outboard, and went ashore to stroll on the Gulf side beach and do some shelling (which was great!) We were dive bombed by terns and realized we had wandered too close to their nesting area, so we turned and walked the beach the other direction. We can't say enough about this spot and unfortunately we will only be here over night if the forecasts hold, (yeah right). Our plan is to leave here around mid day tomorrow, Monday, and head straight for the Florida Barge Canal near the Crystal and Withlacochee Rivers. It looks like we will either have a great sail or be motoring all the way.